[opendtv] Re: FCC on revitalizing the AM band

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 00:40:59 +0000

Jay Cordova wrote:

WSB-AM 50KW Atlanta tried HD for I believe less than a month.
They didn¹t like it all for several reasons and immediately
discontinued its use. Good decision IMO, as they still reach
38 states at night clear channel in the continental U.S.

In principle, going all-HD, they could get a more useful and cleaner signal out
in digital. The propagation qualities won't change, although you'll get the
cliff effect at some point. Instead of your typical AM fading into chaos (at
night, of course).

I don¹t have all of the facts, but HD introduced problems
with the normal top notch quality reception to those of us
without HD radios.

Yes, the digital sidebands create noise for analog receivers. Same kind of
effect you hear with AM radios at night, even before HD Radio. I did some A/B
comparisons on your typical talk radio AM stations, while I still had my HD
Radio tuner, and the difference was really amazing. Even just voice.