[opendtv] Re: FCC on revitalizing the AM band

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 01:05:35 +0000

Cliff Benham wrote:

HD will never have the nationwide footprint that AM radio has had in
the past.

Cliff, wanna bet? With DTV, we discovered, pretty convincingly, that when the
FCC tried to push for power reductions more than 10 dB, compared with analog,
that's when coverage area suffered. But with power reductions in the 6 dB
range, reception is very good.

No reason to think that HD Radio should be any different. A clear channel HD
Radio station, operating at say 12 KW instead of 50 KW, should be able get a
good, clear signal way the heck out there at night.

Plus, let's not forget, for long range reception of radio, Internet radio is
amazing. I get the BBC, RAI, RFI, etc., like they are local FM stations.

Just as 8VSB was supposed to be a major improvement in television
broadcasting [AND ISN'T]

Ah, there we disagree too. Even when I was grade school age, I couldn't
understand why TV was so technically poor, compared with movies and 35mm
slides. Now I get Baltimore stations with essentially "perfect" image and audio
quality, where previously, with NTSC, they were far from perfect.