[opendtv] FCC on cable, DBS, other MVPD usage

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:08:50 -0500

http://www.fcc.gov/realaudio/presentations/2008/011708/mb.pdf

Viewgraph 4 shows these percentages of TV households, between 2001 and
2006, according to the FCC Media Bureau:

Cable: 67
       65.2
       61.9
       61.0
       59.7
       59.2

DBS: 15.7
     17.3
     19.1
     21.0
     23.8
     25.4

Other: 3.2
       2.7
       3.2
       2.8
       2.5
       2.3

The drop in cable households seems to be leveling off, at least through
2006, probably due to the broadband service it provides that DBS does
not. IPTV and FiOS may affect that, as these compete more directly with
cable. I would expect "other" to creep up, during and after 2007.

Assuming these groups never intersect and overlap, one may conclude that
the remaining TV households would be using OTA exclusively. The OTA
count would be somewhat low, if a significant number of households falls
in more than one of the above categories:

Presumed exclusive-OTA: 14.1
                        14.8
                        15.8
                        15.2
                        14.0
                        13.1

Hard to say what the long-term trends are. I've been hearing about how
OTA uage is dropping consistently, since 2000 if not before. Most likely
was not true, at least not through 2003. It may just be oscillating.
Potentially, analog shutoff could give OTA a boost.