[opendtv] Re: FCC irrelevent??

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:45:02 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> > WiFi has the advantage of being very short range,
> > specifically made this way to avoid interfence problems
> > between users and between networks. Somewhat like CB
> > radio. This too is regulated by the FCC. Neither of
> > these are a free for all.
>
> And the same is largely true for other forms of unlicensed
> spectrum sharing as authorized by the FCC, INCLUDING the
> NPRM that proposed the sharing of the TV bands by smart
> radios.
>
> It is only when the power levels become significant that
> interference becomes a major issue.

Yes, precisely. So looking back at the subject line of this
thread, we can all agree that the FCC is in fact quite
involved.

I understand that modern RF equipment is well designed. That
doesn't mean that the RF spectrum can become a free for all.
It just means that the equipment is well designed to meet
sensible requirements, established by some organization,
which permit the spectrum to be shared efficiently. And we
can also agree that how efficiently it can be shared will
increase as technology evolves.