[opendtv] Re: FCC irrelevent??

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:18:32 -0400

>Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
>>  Where are the WiFi police?
>
>They definitely exist.
>
>WiFi has the advantage of being very short range, specifically
>made this way to avoid interfence problems between users and
>between networks. Somewhat like CB radio. This too is
>regulated by the FCC. Neither of these are a free for all.

And the same is largely true for other forms of unlicensed spectrum
sharing as authorized by the FCC, INCLUDING the NPRM that proposed
the sharing of the TV bands by smart radios.

It is only when the power levels become significant that interference
becomes a major issue.

>Within any large organization which deploys WiFi in a big way,
>you can bet there definitely is a WiFi police.

Yup, and retailers do not expect the local police to have detectives
in their stores to catch shop lifters. They have their own security
guards.

If broadcasters are truly concerned about the potential for
interference from unlicensed devices, they can police the airwaves
and notify those who are interfering to cease and desist.
We do not need a Federal agency to do this.