[opendtv] Re: FCC irrelevent??

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:06:36 -0400

>  any event, some agency to control the use of
>spectrum, in such a way as to avoid interference,
>accidental or intentional, would be required
>regardless. Even if this agency does nothing more
>than stipulate that every transmitter must be agile,
>and then accommodate the consequences of such a
>decision.

There is another way to deal with this. You simply state that it is
illegal to interfere with other services.

If you intentionally interfere, then you are liable for that
interference. We have a court system to deal with people who break
the laws.

The FCCis no longer in the spectrum policing business. There is
little need for this, as most spectrum users are responsible, and
modern day transmission equipment is very reliable.

There would be even less need to deal with these issues in a world
where high power transmissions were replaced with networks of lower
powered transmitters.

Where are the WiFi police?

Don't answer. Here is the sad truth...

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20051026/edit26.art.htm