[opendtv] FCC indecency has Bochco in 'Blue' mood

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:57:27 -0400

April 27, 2004

FCC indecency has Bochco in 'Blue' mood

By Ray Richmond

A couple of seasons ago on "NYPD Blue" -- one of the few stable shows
currently residing in the ABC universe -- the show's creator and
executive producer, Steven Bochco, recalls that Susan Lyne (ousted
last week as the network's entertainment chief) urged the show to try
a little experiment.

"Susan wanted us to start using the word 'bullshit' in our episodes,"
Bochco said last week in a telephone interview. "And so we did -- not
gratuitously, but in character. We received not a single phone call.
Not one little peep. No letters of protest. Nothing. Zero.

"I thought, what a nice sign that is, that a 10 o'clock drama can
occasionally access some of the casual profanity that's absolutely
familiar to anyone over the age of 7."

It was yet another content victory for a series that had written the
book on controversy, that had famously stood down the watchdog groups
and affiliate rejection to survive its first season in 1993-94 and,
more than a decade later, outlive virtually all of its critics.

But as "NYPD Blue" rolls to the end of its 11th and possibly final
season, the gritty cop drama has found a foe that it can't compete
with in the federal government.

The so-called indecency crackdown has hit "NYPD" hard, Bochco
explains. At ABC's insistence, the show has been forced over the past
two months to alter or eliminate visuals in four sex scenes. "We've
also had to dial back some of our language issues," he says.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/columns/the_pulse_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000496867