[opendtv] FCC forbids regulation of basic cable TV rates, by default

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 00:42:36 +0000

This was expected, and here it is.

Bert

---------------------------------------
http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0603/FCC-15-62A1.pdf

INTRODUCTION

1. In this Report and Order ("Order"), we improve and expedite the effective
competition process by adopting a rebuttable presumption that cable operators
are subject to "Effective Competition." Specifically, we presume that cable
operators are subject to what is commonly referred to as "Competing Provider
Effective Competition." As a result, each franchising authority3 will be
prohibited from regulating basic cable rates unless it successfully
demonstrates that the cable system is not subject to Competing Provider
Effective Competition. This change is justified by the fact that Direct
Broadcast Satellite ("DBS") service is ubiquitous today and that DBS providers
have captured almost 34 percent of multichannel video programming distributor
("MVPD") subscribers. This Order also implements section 111 of the STELA
Reauthorization Act of 2014 ("STELAR"), which directs the Commission to adopt a
streamlined Effective Competition process for small cable operators. By
adopting a rebuttable presumption of Competing Provider Effective Competition,
we update our Effective Competition rules, for the first time in over 20 years,
to reflect the current MVPD marketplace, reduce the regulatory burdens on all
cable operators, especially small operators, and more efficiently allocate the
Commission's resources.