[opendtv] Re: FCC comments on DTT reception

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 01:22:47 -0800 (PST)

Since this report doesn't name names, maybe we can do some cross correlations
to find some likely assignments...here's a first stab at it....

  1. What we know:

  a. CRC released an Aug05 Report re a new Samsung ATSC Receiver:
  http://www.crc.ca/en/html/crc/home/research/broadcast/rtnt
  The Samsung had error free results for 38 out of 50 Field Ensembles.
  I don't know who makes the "Gemini" ATSC Decoder chip that is claimed to be
in the Samsung, nor is it likely that it was available in a production product
in time to be included in the FCC/OET test program.  [It is perhaps noteworthy
to know that most Samsung Tuners have used various generations of ATSC Decoder
chips from ATI.....]

  b. Earlier CRC tests on the Zenith/LG Prototype and Linx (now Micronas)
Prototype did not include Field Ensemble tests.

  c. Although both ATI and Micronas provided technical assistance to the
FCC/OET test effort, I am not aware of any Linx/Micronas chips that might have
been in production ATSC Receivers at the time of the FCC/OET test.  If anyone
knows whether their new A74 "compliant" chip is in production equipment, let us
know.

  d. Zarlink spec sheet for Thomson DPF88XX Tuner claims "full spec compliance"
with ATSC A74, using the ATI Theater 313 ATSC Decoder:
http://products.zarlink.com/product_portlets/thomson_pnp.htm

  e. ATI Press Release has claimed A74 "compliance" for their Theater ATSC
Decoder chips.  They provided A74 Field Ensemble test results in Jun05 Comments
re SHVERA ILLR (ET Docket 05-102) for four ATSC Receivers:

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6517693762
  The best results were claimed for the latest ATI (Theater?) chip with error
free results for 34 out of 50.
  The next best (32 out of 50) had very similiar results and probably
represents an earlier release for the Theater chip series.
  The other two unnamed ATSC Receivers (one of which was called "3rd Gen") had
error free results for only 9 or 10 out of 50.

  f. One of the STB's tested in the FCC/OET report is described as having the
EIA/CEA-909 Smart Antenna interface.  Hence it must be the Sylvania 6900DTE,
which uses an ATI NXT4002 ATSC Decoder chip in an ALPS tuner.  ATI claimed that
the NXT4xxxx series chips worked with 0 dB Echo.  Based on the FCC/OET test
data and the above ATI test results, I would say NOT VERY WELL!!!!  No doubt
due to the limited pre-echo capability in 3rd and 4th Gen chips.

  =====================================
  2. As has been lamented before on this forum, NONE of the currently available
STBs was in the High Performance category!!!!
  And only 10 out of the 23 DTVs tested fell in to the High Performance
category.

  =====================================
  3. What I deduce so far from Figure 6-1 on page 6-6 in FCC-05-199:

  a.  STB "D1" had the highest error free results for STBs (12 out of 50),
which I would expect to be the LG LST-4200A.  DTVs "D2" and "D3" would
therefore also be from LG, which is consistent with High Performance category
error free test results: 31 out of 50.

  b. The Sylvania 6900DTE could be any of the remaining 4 STB's.  However, "A1"
and "G2" are unlikely, since "A2/A3" and "G2/G3" don't seem to match the
limited Sylvania DTV offerings.  This leaves either "E1" or "H1".  If "E1" is
Sylvania, then the "E2" DTV would also be in the low performance category.

  c. ATI claims to supply the ATSC Decoder for most DTVs imported to the U.S.
Hence it is very likely that most (if not all) of the remaining High
Performance DTVs incorporate the ATI Theater chip (e.g. J1, M1, A3, I1, I2, M2,
N2 and O1).  However, at this point to say for sure that some other chip might
also be included.

  So what constitutes "A74 Compliance"????
  None of the units was error free...and indeed since they were field captures,
some are NEVER expected to be decoded error free.

                       <holl_ands>

Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-199A1.pdf