[opendtv] Re: FCC Upholds CableCARD

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:59:06 -0700

I'm not crying over anything, and I've never calculated on selling a PSIP
generator to a cable company; Indeed, I've never called a cable company, and
have ignored entreaties by TV chief engineers who suggested that I should
contact their counterpart at the local cable company.

As Valentine Michael Smith would have put it "Waiting was not yet full."
Cable's many fools were holding out for FCC reversal on a fundamental FCC
point.  Fat chance.  What were they collectively smoking?

I suspect that there is no equipment because cable companies told vendors
not to make any, that they would NEVER use it, that the FCC would back down.

I should change that:  they told every vendor around the world I've talked
to that they would never buy equipment that supported required POD metadata.
And, I should also point out that when us vendors talk, we are able to
discern that this attitude is ONLY evidenced by U.S. Cable companies.

The attitude includes: I will only include broadcast bits when forced to by
law.

So, I will start to visit friends with my test gear, capture transport
streams, and file formal complaints against cable companies with the FCC.
Count on it.

And, if the "hardware spec" hasn't been finalized, I don't think the FCC
held it up.

That's a canard anyway, all Moto or SA had to do was to provide support for
the now-mandatory system in their offerings.  They didn't because these
favored vendors, like us small ones, were told: if you put support for POD
or POD metadata in your systems, we will stop buying anything from you.

This recalcitrance to EVER support metadata REQUIRED by LAW, Richard, has
come up in several groups (subject to NDA rules) of which I've been a member
MANY times.

I didn't bring about this state of affairs, nor did anybody I work with or
for, at least to this point.

I've talked to people who have bought TVs with cable card slots, and who
have inserted their card.  What doesn't work is navigation, particularly for
OTA.  No surprise there, since cable companies have BEEN ACTIVELY
SUPPRESSING DEVELOPMENT AND DEPLOYMENT OF SYSTEMS THAT PROVIDE A/65, SCTE 65
AND SCTE 54 metadata.

John Willkie