[opendtv] Re: FCC TAKES STEPS TO ALLOW NEW LOW POWER DEVICES ON VACANT TV CH

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:23:03 -0400

On 10/14/06, Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bob Miller wrote:

>>I'm afraid you're still missing the boat, Bob, because you
>>continue to think that this is about modulation. Instead,
>>it's all about how easy it is to sucker the US buying public
>>into subscription schemes.
>
>I'm afraid you are missing the boat also Bert, it IS all about
>the modulation.

DBS worked. It is a subscription scheme and does not use COFDM.

This is painful. DBS doesn't need COFDM. They are a satellite service.
They have the tools they need. All except one, something that will
accelerate their signal over the speed of light and enough power to
punch it thru a thunderstorm. COFDM will do neither.

TiVo worked. A subscription scheme to copy free or already-paid-for TV. And
does not use COFDM. (Has something similar worked in Europe? Don't think so,
but I'm not sure.)

This is painful. I have no idea what to do with it. I Bunt!

I'm surprised someone hasn't marketed a subscription scheme for your morning
cup of coffee.

>Or maybe with one more try from USDTV 8-VSB will prove me
>wrong. NOT! USDTV is out of bankruptcy again. One more for
>the gipper.

Interesting. Actually, that's a good example, because even with COFDM, that
sort of subscription service has failed in more than one country. We'll see
whether French DTT can pull it off, since they want to offer a mix. What
your takeaway ought to be is that modulation seems not to be a factor, when
offering OTA TV with a subscription fee. People are not quite willing to pay
X for something, when slightly more will get them a lot more programming.
And this also applies with COFDM.

COFDM didn't fail, the business models failed. More than one? I only
know of one and it has been replace by TopUpTV that is bandwidth
starved and with a mediocre modulation DVB-T 2K at miserable power
levels. Not much of a test.

The reality is that no one has tried a subscription service with a
decent COFDM and decent power and a decent business model. All
important.

>IBOC ismoch, in the end when enough 700 MHz or below spectrum
>is open for business  you will see competition that will erase most of
>what we now call radio and TV whether satellite, telco, cable or
>whatever.
>
>It will be a different ballgame.

How much do you want to bet? I think a mistake a lot of marketers make is
that they believe, in their zeal for whatever new wigit they're selling,
that existing wigits will become obsolete. It does occasionally happen, but
it's very rare. One sort of humorous example was the Segway scooter thng,
which was supposed to "revolutionize" the way we go about our daily
business. Aside from an occasional appearance in music videos, just how many
do we see around?

We're off to the movies. They're also still hanging in there.

Barely. The last one I went to was pathetic. A lot of the spark has
gone out of the going to the movies thing.

I just think that the business model for any netowork that is high
cost cannot compete with a low cost network that can deliver as much
and I think wireless broadcast and broadband can deliver as much as
any of the others but with the added benefit of mobile and portable.

Satellite, cable, fiber; all high cost limited delivery vehicles IMO.

Bob Miller