[opendtv] Re: FCC TAKES STEPS TO ALLOW NEW LOW POWER DEVICES ON VACANT TV CH

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 17:08:40 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

No one going to mention broadband over power lines or gas
pipes? Of course neither of those will leak right?

My Dilbert daily calendar had one cartoon about Dilbert's company working on broadband over sewer lines. Is that the sort of thing we're talking about?

It looks like a full court press on OTA spectrum to me. Has since 2000.

The only fly in this ointment is the success that OTA is having over
there, over just about any there. And this will all come to pass in
early 2009??? Just after China shows off its new OTA at the Olympics
in the summer of 2008.

I'm afraid you're still missing the boat, Bob, because you continue to think that this is about modulation. Instead, it's all about how easy it is to sucker the US buying public into subscription schemes.

*Precisely* the same thing is happening to so-called HD Radio. The tactics used in your consumer electronics stores are identical, even though the IBOC radio system uses your cure-all modulation.

Read this article. It describes my experience with HD Radio, which also describes my experience with DTT, to a T. Customers are always diverted away from the FTA options to yet another subscription scheme, and often are completely mislead about the true costs. I've *always* had the salesman try to steer me over to satellite radio when asking about HD radio.

http://beradio.com/eyeoniboc/radio_report_card_hd/

IMO, to combat this white spaces regulation, what broadcasters should do is to get in there first, so as to ensure that whatever use this spectrum is put to does not interfere with the broadcasts. Use it to offer Internet access, use it for low power TV, use it for low power translators. In other words, play the game.