[opendtv] Re: F.C.C. Sees Cable Savings in à la Carte

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 13:26:04 -0800 (PST)

There is a huge difference between announced FAMILY FRIENDLY digital tier
(starts next month) and the least expensive digital tier which would include
most of those same channels.

  An example for COX-San Diego:
  FAMILY FRIENDY = $32.50 = 12.50 (Limited Basic) + 16.00 (FamFndly) + 4.00 STB
  Includes "local" CH2-22, 6 ea News/Weather, 12 ea Kidz/Family channels.

  DIG PGMG PKG 1 =  $55.95 = 41.95 (Standard) + 10.00 (PgmgPkg1) + 4.00 STB
  Includes CH2-99, 32 ea dig channels, VOD/PPV, Music Choice, FM Radio,
  but only about half of the channels in the FF list.
  It costs another $3.00 for 3 Programming Packages (e.g. News/Info, Variety &
Lifestyle) to pick up most of the others on the FF list.
                      <holl_ands>

"Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It would be nice to think that some of the discussions
> here, on this subject, have been a factor in the FCC
> decision to reverse field and push for ala carte cable
> pricing...

Reading the article in the paper this morning, I came away with the =
distinct impression that this has a lot more to do with filtering out =
"obscene" programs from one's home than anything to do with actual =
savings to consumers. Which savings are now stated as ranging from 3 =
percent to something just over 10 percent.

The FCC is saying that their previous conclusions were based on "faulty =
information from the cable companies." Maybe the current conclusions is =
based on similarly faulty information.

I think this is another big, noisy, non-issue, unless of course you're =
uptight about filtering out what you consider to be obscene.

Also, I predict that when push comes to shove, people won't be happy =
with, say, a 15 percent saving that results in them receiving, say, 20 =
channels, when previously they received 120. Just a guess.