[opendtv] Re: FCC R&O on MVPD program sources

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 17:29:17 -0600

Tom Barry wrote:

> Well, maybe they are happy with that.  But it seems it is
> vulnerable to replay attacks.  For instance if I have box 1234
> with options "all" it seems I could give it "1234 all" even
> after I canceled service, assuming I could send signals to it.
>  Do they assume I can't?

It wouldn't be a very sesnsible security protocol if it allowed that sort of
behavior, Tom. At least in  the RFC 3740 scheme, the security associations
would change shortly after you dropped the service, which means the encryption
algorithm would change.

The Internet scheme is meant for cases where any group member may also be a
source of multicasts to the group. So it's very important to ensure that if a
group members leaves the group, you don't just assume that he would still be
automatically authenticated in the future, should he want to rejoin.

A missing piece that you seem to be most interested in is the key exchange
protocol. The Internet key exchange is a system of public and private keys. The
private key only works in your box. It's not quite as simple as just being the
serial number of your recevier.

This document describes the current key exchange protocol, IKEv2:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4306.txt?number=4306

Updated by

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5282.txt?number=5282

to explain how the IKEv2 exhanges are themselves authenticated and encrypted.

So I don't think that any group member can easily broadcast his own key
exchange transactions to others, and have these others authenticate themselves
that way. But as you say, these mechanisms are not static.

Lucky for OTA broadcasters, I think going this route for them is not going to
work anyway. As a business model, that is.