[opendtv] Re: FCC Proposes Defining 'Linear' OVDs as MVPDs | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 00:46:28 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> As for Verizon stopping the expansion of their FIOS deployments, it's
> just economics. I suspect that they plan to focus on wireless data,
> and leave wired broadband for the cable companies, who are eating the
> telcos lunch, thanks to superiority of their hybrid fiber/coax
> networks versus twisted pair ADSL.

Actually, the opposite is probably more the case. Verizon FiOS is too expensive
precisely because they didn't reuse the voice grade twisted pair to homes, in
higher grade variants of ADSL/VDSL, but instead went straight from ADSL version
1 to FTTH. We discussed this already. The media buzz created by this jump
straight to FTTH did nothing to contain the big investment cost. There are also
versions of xDSL that can offer well over 50 Mb/s, Craig, and the technology is
still being developed.

Cable is more GRADUALLY approaching homes with the fiber part of their
infrastructure, as the coax portion becomes shorter and shorter over time.
Verizon jumped the gun, when it could have used the same gradual approach
instead. The gamble did not pay off. It's that simple.

> Exactly. And this [FCC order] in turn protects the bundle and
> retrans consent revenues.

Everyone gets this, Craig. It's not important, though. More effective use of
Internet as a TV medium becomes a reality, and has been becoming a reality,
when the content owners want it.

> But you keep believing that the content owners will move beyond
> the walled gardens, when in reality they are moving the walled
> gardens to the Internet.

This is just your habitual stubbornness, even in the face of evidence to the
contrary, multiple opinion pieces to the contrary, all go unnoticed,
unacknowledged, denied they even exist. As I've said before, years after the
transition to Internet TV is well underway, you will still be insisting it's
not happening.