[opendtv] Re: FCC Opens TV Spectrum for Broadband Use

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 16:52:05 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> NO.
>
> I remember saying that there would be many display sizes and aspect
> ratios, which is exactly what has happened.

Exactly what happened? Keep dreaming.

Here's what happened:

Movies are either 2.35:1 or 1.85:1 for all theaters. Those that go to IMAX
theaters are square, but only when they are projected in IMAX. If a movie is
sent to IMAX and regular theaters, you never see the square format used in
regular theaters.

TV screens are 16:9. Even the 4:3 ratio initially used in small LCD TVs, e.g.
in the original LCD TVs of 20" or less, has disappeared years ago.

Computer screens are typically 16:10, unless the computer is used as a media
center, in which case 16:9 is an option.

Not much variation there, Craig. Even portable devices are going to wide screen
formats. If they don't go to 16:9 or 16:10, it is only because of the
constraints placed on them by their tiny size. And no one particularly cares on
tiny screens anyway.

>> Are you telling me that there's some artistic "intent" for syndicated
>> shows, in SD, being transmitted as 4:3, when the original transmission
>> in HD was 16:9?

> If the original was 16:9 then it is most likely a station that is
> requesting and broadcasting a 4:3 version. As you point out, the ability
> to support widescreen is available to everyone. Ask the folks you are
> talking about why they are dragging their heels?

That's why I wrote that question down, Craig. There is no so-called "artistic
intent" in most of these mismanaged aspect ratios. There's simply no excuse for
multicasts such as ThisTV to be transmitting movies as 4:3, unless the movie is
truly ancient. Just about any movie produced after the 1950s would best be sent
anamorphic 16:9, and even many movies of the 1950s. Ditto goes for newer TV
shows in syndication.

I would have much preferred if 16:9 had become the standard display ratio after
the transition to DTV, so these so-called "artitistic intent" compromises would
have been over with by now.

And also, as much as people don't want to see black bars in TV screens, they
will also object to black bars in their computer screens, when streaming media
full frame becomes a more common way of viewing TV. It's one thing to talk
about multiple aspect ratio windows open, in typical PC work, quite another to
concentrate on the full frame streaming media experience. The latter is no
different from TV.