[opendtv] Re: FCC Opens TV Spectrum for Broadband Use

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 08:35:50 -0500

Exactly. The first HD cameras were 1080i. THEREFORE, as I said, any engineer worth his degree would want to accommodate that option in the standard. At the very least, as a transitional option.

No they were 1440 x 1035 lines.

And it was a HUGE mistake to allow ANY FORM OF INTERLACE in the standard. Interlace was and continues to be a crude form of video compression that was designed for an analog world. The main reason it is in MPEG-2 and the ATSC standard is that key CE/video equipment vendors were able to create a mountain of new IP, based on technical concepts that were, or were about to be in the public domain. The concatenation of interlace with entropy based digital encoding is nothing short of a DISASTER.

Not really. These are mere words you're uttering. The reality is, web sites don't work well or at all with old VGA-only computers and slow CPUs. In TV, that way of operating wouldn't work. People would get mighty irate if broadcasters obsoleted their sets in 5 or 6 years.

STOP THIS SILLINESS BERT. We are not talking about computer displays standards, which left 640 x 480 VGA displays in the last century. We are talking about the number of pixels per frame, number of lines per frame, and the aspect ratio of streams of moving images that are distributed via the Internet.

And people would not care a wit about this stuff if the system and the consumer receivers/displays were designed properly to deal with scalability and extensibility. People would simply buy a display with an appropriate number of samples for the designed viewing distance and the display aspect ratio that they desired.

I was looking at flat panel computer displays at Best Buy yesterday. They were available in multiple sizes, resolutions and display aspect ratios.

We've been over this many times, Craig. Your supposed "solution" is to impose image distortion, image cropping, or waste of precious TV screen real estate as a way of life. I find that, frankly, unacceptable. That's no solution.

IT IS the way of life today for every display except TVs. Get over it.

 I prefer to see the composition intended by the creator of the content.

Content creators know the limitations of the media they work with. In movies, they stick to only two formats most of the time, both wide screen. Occasionally they use IMAX **only** for stuff they know will go to IMAX screens.

Hollywood has hundreds of aspect ratios and a significant number of different aspect ratios are used for distribution. There is a reason that movie theater screens have moveable curtains on the sides; they can be adjusted to deal with accommodating all of the different aspect ratios that are used in distribution today, just as the vertical portion of the screen that is used varies with each presentation.

And there is a reason that virtually ALL Hollywood releases on DVD are letterboxed into the 16:9 TV format so that the entire original composition is preserved.

Content creators are perfectly capable of showing the occasional vertical image with wide black bars left and right, if they so choose, but it would be inexcusable to leave them with no idea of the optimal dimensions of the TV medium. Just like it would be inexcusable for the movie industry to provide no standards to movie studios. That's just unrealistic rhetoric, Craig

As Mark Schubin has explained so many times, there really is not optimal dimension for a display. The Golden Rectangle is about as close a it comes, but even this is just one of many possible compromises. The right choice is APPLICATION dependent; what you want to view most of the time.

My preference back when would have been a 2:1 ratio as TV standard, to be right between the two movie standards, however 16:9 is not bad.

This is what we in the computer industry and Hollywood proposed.