[opendtv] Re: FCC Opens TV Spectrum for Broadband Use

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 20:13:54 -0600

Dale Kelly wrote:

> Craig wrote:
>> I prefer to see the composition intended by the creator of the content.
>> (rather than fill the screen)
>
> I agree but you and I are a very small minority.

Count me in that minority, but it doesn't take a lot of observation to notice
that the norm is distortion. And even worse, you even see distortion when
movies or TV shows incorporate images of wide screen TVs within the show. It's
really weird. Almost like even producers don't notice this anymore.

I think this was also the case in the recent "runaway train" movie. To show the
image was TV, when the TV was meant to be showing CNN, not only was it
distorted, but they also showed what are now nonexistent raster lines.

In most hotel rooms I've been in, there isn't even a way to set the TV right.
So, clearly there's something going on here that isn't just an accident.

My hope is that even SDTV will gradually migrate to 16:9. Honestly, now that
the transition is over, I have no idea how broadcasters rationalize
transmitting 4:3 with their SD programming, and 16:9 for HD. All sets, no
matter what vintage, are now seeing a mix of HD and SD, and the high value
prime time material is always 16:9. Why not start transmitting even SD
multicasts anamorphic wide screen? If the material is current production,
what's the down side?