[opendtv] Re: FCC Opens TV Spectrum for Broadband Use

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:05:00 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> To be perfectly correct, there were no 1080P cameras when ATSC standard
> was created; there were 1125/60i cameras.

Exactly. The first HD cameras were 1080i. THEREFORE, as I said, any engineer
worth his degree would want to accommodate that option in the standard. At the
very least, as a transitional option.

> But all of this misses the point completely. There are no standard for
> video resolution on the Internet. Your computer is expected to deal
> with anything that is delivered, and to scale it to fill as much of the
> screen as possible if you so desire.

Not really. These are mere words you're uttering. The reality is, web sites
don't work well or at all with old VGA-only computers and slow CPUs. In TV,
that way of operating wouldn't work. People would get mighty irate if
broadcasters obsoleted their sets in 5 or 6 years.

> Every TV made today has a mode that fills the screen, no matter the
> source resolution or aspect ratio.

We've been over this many times, Craig. Your supposed "solution" is to impose
image distortion, image cropping, or waste of precious TV screen real estate as
a way of life. I find that, frankly, unacceptable. That's no solution.

> I prefer to see the composition intended by the creator of the content.

Content creators know the limitations of the media they work with. In movies,
they stick to only two formats most of the time, both wide screen. Occasionally
they use IMAX **only** for stuff they know will go to IMAX screens.

Content creators are perfectly capable of showing the occasional vertical image
with wide black bars left and right, if they so choose, but it would be
inexcusable to leave them with no idea of the optimal dimensions of the TV
medium. Just like it would be inexcusable for the movie industry to provide no
standards to movie studios. That's just unrealistic rhetoric, Craig.

My preference back when would have been a 2:1 ratio as TV standard, to be right
between the two movie standards, however 16:9 is not bad.