[opendtv] Re: FCC Opens TV Spectrum for Broadband Use

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 21:00:16 -0800

Craig wrote:
I prefer to see the composition intended by the creator of the content.
(rather than fill the screen)

I agree but you and I are a very small minority.

We live in a community of mostly retired folk and by default I'm the TV and Computer Guru who does a lot of installs and setup of wide screen TV systems that replace old 4x3 sets. I always set the systems to display the programs native video format and the reaction is universal; everyone wants to see a completely filled screen regardless of the resultant seriously distorted image.

Dale

-----Original Message----- From: Craig Birkmaier
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2010 6:53 PM
To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [opendtv] Re: FCC Opens TV Spectrum for Broadband Use

Not true. The various 480p, 720p, and 1080p options do nothing to "protect legacy." On the other hand, the 480i and 1080i did "protect legacy," which any engineer worth his degree has to worry about.

There is no 1080P in the ATSC standard, unless you are talking about
24/30P. To be perfectly correct, there were no 1080P cameras when
ATSC standard was created; there were 1125/60i cameras. 1080@25i and
1080 @ 24P cameras began to appear about 1995 or 1996. Then again,
there were no commercially available 720P cameras at any frame rate
when the ATSC standard was created.

There WERE a wide range of 480@60P cameras in production at that
time, and at least one Japanese network - NTV - was broadcasting in
480P.

You show me a VGA 640 X 480 computer that would work acceptably in the vast majority of today's web sites.

ARE WE TALKING NTSC COMPUTERS HERE?

VGA was introduced in 1987. We are talking ancient history here with
respect to computers. By 1995 when Table 3 was created (in July to be
exact) I was using up to 2k 24 bit color displays on my Mac's and
editing real time 640 x 480 component video.

But all of this misses the point completely. There are no standard
for video resolution on the Internet. Your computer is expected to
deal with anything that is delivered, and to scale it to fill as much
of the screen as possible if you so desire.

And even more important, many websites now negotiate the resolution
delivered based on the capabilities of the device that is requesting
the stream.

More to the point, computers and TVs are not the same thing. Just as this administration finds it hard to listen to what the people are saying, those wanting "no standards" seem unable to understand the widespread dislike for black bars in TV screens.

Widespread?

Every TV made today has a mode that fills the screen, no matter the
source resolution or aspect ratio. But most people accept the fact
that video windows vary in size and shape, and these sources can be
expanded to fill the screen with minimal throw away areas.

TVs are not computers. People don't want black bars, and they also don't want extraneous garbage on the sides of the screen, when watching either movies or TV shows. Extraneous garbage might be okay when browsing the web, but that is a completely different experience. Think about it. How successful would you be, scrolling left and right and up and down, while watching streaming media content? Easy enough to do when browsing still graphics or text, but not for streaming media. Which leads to black bars or to distortion.

Obviously a personal point of view.

I prefer to see the composition intended by the creator of the content.

The end result is so obvious. The very vast majority, if not all, new TV screens is 16:9. And the very vast majority of these are displaying distorted 4:3 material. Because people don't want black bars and don't want to crop.

No. The CE Industry does not want to offer a bunch of different
display options. This IS NOT a problem. I do not expect everyone to
create content to ONE preferred aspect ratio. I DO expect any display
I buy to accommodate ALL resolutions and aspect ratios.

It would have been far better to set a default standard, like 16:9, and then provide the TV industry with a goal to shoot for, as more and more consumers buy new sets. As it is, the change isn't happening fast enough.

So, it was a big mistake to remove the guidelines entirely.

The guidelines were unnecessary. The very nature of the ATSC standard
requires that any receiver be able to accommodate multiple source
resolutions and display aspect ratios.  Mandating a handful of
preferred formats was a complete waste of time.