[opendtv] Re: FCC Opens TV Spectrum for Broadband Use

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 16:05:00 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I have worked on many standards Bert, including the ATSC standard.

Well, then, my suggestion would be, don't paint everything with such a broad
brush. Too broad a brush results in loss of credibility, IMHO.

> It is a big stretch to call the advisory committee and the ATSC
> standards organizations. Concesnsus was NEVER part of the Advisory
> Committee process, and has been rare in ATSC working groups.

If consensus is rare, obviously that's wrong. But on the other hand,

> The FCC did little to influence the standards process. I know this
> first hand, as I talked with the Chairman and several Commissioners
> about the problems with the standard and the opportunities that
> they COULD HAVE enabled.

... this apsect is not unusual. I would not want the government to have undue
influence in the standards process, because I don't trust that they have the
expertise.

If you look at the IETF counterpart, IETF working groups and the IESG (steering
group), you will find plenty of participation by industries with lots of IP
interests (no pun intended), both in the working groups and in the steering
group. Check out the steering group:

http://www.ietf.org/iesg/members.html

And yet, because members are considered to be subject area experts and not
corporate representatives, the system seems to work remarkably well.

So, I don't know what your objections to the ATSC advisory committee were, and
whether I too would have dismissed some of them, but it seems to me that "lack
of influence" by the steering (or advisory) group is not entirely a bad thing.

> In the end they deleted one table from the standard, then the ATSC
> partners simply ignored this small omission.

Deletion of table 3 was a big mistake, IMO. I would much rather they had
expanded on it. And the fact that the industry retained the spirit of table 3,
which now has a different name, should prove to you what a mistake it was to
delete it. As bad as the mismatched aspect ratio situation is now, it would
have been far worse without an industry consensus.

Instead, you conclude it must be underhanded.