[opendtv] Re: --FCC OKs WiFi between TV channels

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <res0xtey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 12:28:52 -0700

> It is true that the only way to get the HD version
> of many network programs is via an OTA antenna. The question is, is
> this enough of a difference to justify the hassle of installing an
> antenna?

That's a good question and I certainly don't have the answer. Unique HDTV
programming of sufficient quality and quantity, together with reliable DTV
reception, might be a surrogate for turning around the decline of FOTA
broadcasting.

However, the DBS/Cable companies may never be motivated to carry local
station HDTV programming due to the fact that they have co opted that
business as their own and are charging for this service by way of HDTV
packages. CBS has already broken ranks and have made non broadcast
arrangements for HDTV carriage. Will other networks follow their lead?

Should Broadcasters actually obtain increased viewing by way of their OTA
HDTV offerings then I assume the cable carriage issue will resolve itself
thru increased subscriber demand.