[opendtv] Re: F.C.C. Likely to Open Airwaves to Wireless

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 07:31:04 -0400

At 3:47 PM -0400 9/14/10, Albert Manfredi wrote:
Wasn't the old UHF analog rule something like local stations had to be 6 channels apart?

Not exactly. As I understand it use of a UHF taboo channel causes inter-modulation products that can affect a range of non adjacent channels. This site describes the issues with UHF channel 30, for which there were 18 taboo channels for various reasons.

http://home.earthlink.net/~wb9nme/articles/atsc-5.html

John is correct that with DTV there are fewer UHF taboo channels, but there are more UHF channels used now, packed in less spectrum. So I'm not certain how much white space spectrum is available today versus during the NTSC era.