[opendtv] Re: FCC Eliminates Simulcast Rules

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:52:18 -0400

At 8:03 PM -0700 9/12/04, John Willkie wrote:
>And, why should broadcasters have their activities penalized, as if they are
>disrupting the market when it's the CE guys and gals and the transition
>itself at fault.  These were simulcasting rules, not "simultaneous
>availability of digital and analog on analog sets" rules.

How are broadcasters being penalized?

They have lost NOTHING, in terms of their ability to reach 100% of
U.S. homes with their analog service...the one that pays the bills,.

The rest of this discussion is all about the interplay of industries
that are trying to use the so called DTV transition to gain
competitive advantage.

Near as I can tell, everyone is winning.

The CE guys were able to use the perception of a forced march to HDTV
to grow their most profitable market niche - home theater.

The cable and DBS guys are using HDTV to attract and/or retain their
most profitable premium subscribers.

And the broadcasters are protecting the lucrative NTSC franchise,
while the big media conglomerates consolidate their control over the
vast majority of content delivered by both the multi-channel
distributors and broadcasters.

The only people who are losers in this game, are the viewers, who pay
ever more to watch "Free  - i.e. advertiser supported - TV.