[opendtv] Europe lobbies to wrest Internet control from U.S.

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:45:40 -0400

Weird stuff. I would think a far more logical
institution than the UN would be the ITU. Although
that would be highly controversial, since the IETF
and IANA have always considered themselves to be a
lot more efficient and successful than the ITU.

I would be amazed if anyone really thinks this
proposal would benefit the Internet.

Bert

-----------------------------------
Europe lobbies to wrest Internet control from U.S.

Peter Clarke
(10/03/2005 7:56 AM EDT)

LONDON - The 25-nation European Union (EU) is moving
towards a showdown with the U.S. after insisting that
control of the Internet be passed from the U.S. to the
United Nations, according to reports. The U.S. has
always insisted that the Internet is of strategic
interest and would therefore remain under U.S. control
and reiterated that position last week, the reports
said. The debate is escalating ahead of November's
World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS), due to
be held in Tunisia between November 16 and 18, where
the topic of Internet management is on the agenda. It
was raised last week in Geneva by the EU in a WSIS
preparatory meeting, according to a BBC online report.

The EU proposed that the U.S. surrender control of the
management of the Internet's addressing systems and
traffic routing. However, the U.S. rejected the
proposal, the report said.

"We will not agree to the U.N. taking over the management
of the Internet," the BBC report quoted Ambassador David
Gross, coordinator for international communications and
information policy at the U.S. State Department, as
saying. "Some countries want that. We think that's
unacceptable," the report also quoted him as saying.

At present any changes to the internet's core addressing
systems, the root zone files, managed by ICANN (Internet
Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers), are approved
by the U.S. Commerce Department, the BBC report said.

The United Nation's Working Group on Internet Governance
(WGIG) published its proposals for Internet reform in
September.

All material on this site Copyright 2005 CMP Media LLC.
All rights reserved.
=20