[opendtv] Re: Engineers: May 30 PSIP Compliance Costs $10,000 With No Benefit

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 15:05:56 -0700

Indeed, Triveni's position is either that 1)there is no benefit in PSIP
[ever notice how PSIP appears quicker than video + audio on a channel
change?] or 2) "ours doesn't work right."

Note that they purport to sell "dynamic PSIP generators."  I guess I have
less limited view as to what that term means than does Rich & Triveni
Digital.

EtherGuide Emissary already meets the new PSIP reguirements, at least all
profiles save for "simple profile" which meets the requirements as long as a
human makes all changes in EPG data.  So, "only" four of Emissary profiles
truly meet the requirements.

I've maintained for years that Triveni's units weren't ready for prime time.
Now, they seem to have the same position.  Perhaps we should call them
"static PSIP generators."

John Willkie