[opendtv] Re: Engineers: May 30 PSIP Compliance Costs $10,000 With No Benefit

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 17:20:02 -0400

> http://www.tvtechnology.com/pages/s.0015/t.13189.html
>
> Engineers: May 30 PSIP Compliance Costs $10,000 With No Benefit
>
> April 25, 2008
>
> For months, broadcasters have been wondering how they'll
> meet a May 30 FCC deadline for deployment of PSIP
> systems that will provide accurate TV program information,
> even when that information changes on the fly.

[ ... ]

> "It is believed that updating legacy equipment to meet this
> new requirement will create a financial burden on small
> and medium market broadcasters in the range of $10,000
> to $15,000," the firm said in an FCC filing. "This new
> requirement represents a financial and technical burden
> for these stations to implement the equipment upgrade
> which will have no known immediate benefits."

How do the other EPGs do updates? I guess I don't understand the "no known
benefits" quote.

A proper EPG, implemented as I would have expected in PVRs, would
unquestionably benefit from real-time updates. The frequent and obvious example
being when some game runs overtime and screws up the rest of an evening's
schedule, and the recording session.

How exactly a given PVR handles this, e.g. if multiple different stations have
been scheduled for recording, is up to the PVR software designer. I just don't
see how the benefits of providing real-time updates can be in doubt.

Unless PSIP as a whole is seen as something without benefit, of course. Which
then becomes a whole other discussion.