[opendtv] Re: Echostar make or break

  • From: Barry Brown <barrysb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 23:21:32 -0400

On Sep 5, 2006, at 10:53 PM, John Willkie wrote:

If you have that documentation, I'd love to see it.

I note you didn't answer my question about whether the New York and Los Angeles stations provide more local programming for your community than do the stations closest to you. Do the distant stations provide you with Emergency Alert Notices (severe weather, Amber alerts, etc.) more appropriate to your area? Do the commercials that New York and Los Angeles station air have a higher percentage of spots for your tourist mecca than the smattering on the closest stations?

You are unhappy, it appears, that your remote touristy area isn't big enough to support a truly local station. Your workaround won't fix that; it will make providing a local service more difficult than it already is. You might want to contact Woody at Resort Broadcasting and see how easy or difficult it is to make a go of such a model. You could even file for a construction permit for a Low Power Television station, TV translator or TV booster to serve your area.

You seem to have the impression that I'm anti-local. This is not the case. I'd be very happy to watch and support local stations if they provided good local programming involving all parts of my DMA. I'm not wanting an LPTV to serve my area, but a couple of super stations providing 24/7 local programming would best serve our entire metro area including my community. Instead, we have about 8 stations providing network or syndicated programming and a bit of local programming 3 times a day, covering all the bad news there is to find.