[opendtv] Re: Easier Said Than Done

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:00:47 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> I wonder if Jeff's experience would have been any different
> in say, Sydney?

I don't know about Sydney, but Rome? Paris? London? No, it wouldn't.
Rabbit ears don't work at long ranges if power is low. It's that simple.
With COFDM, reception will be more solid, perhaps, if there's enough
signal, but it will be zero if there isn't adequate margin. I think the
effect is that the digital cliff is steeper than here. Meaning, if you
don't get reception very soon, you probably don't need to bother as much
with antenna aiming, for better results. It just won't work.

But again, even with a 3rd generation receiver, other people as well as
I can manage solid reception with rabbit ears from a range of almost 50
miles (80 Km). And that's not just one station, either. The primary
difference is power. In the Berlin SFN example, in the mabb report,
indoor reception was considered likely only out to a 12 mile range from
pattern center, for the relatively powerful Channel 44 (170 KW ERP
total).

With the 3 KW translators Bob is talking about, better be within ~4
miles, for indoor reception.

The C/N margin of just over 15 dB required here is an advantage compared
with 64-QAM, but not compared with 16-QAM used in the UK, Italy, and
Germany. With 16-QAM and 2/3 FEC an 11 to 14 dB of C/N margin should be
enough. But Sydney uses 64-QAM, I believe, so closer to 18 dB of C/N
needed.

But I wanted to say that in my experience, sure enough, immediately
after a move, the stereo/TV setup is not my first priority either. My
approach is to do just about everything else first, and leave my toys
aside for a few days. When the basics are in place, then I take a
breather and play with my toys.

This works much better, for me, in part because you don't feel rushed.
And that's because you don't get nagged.

I have to agree with him, though, that Americans, among others, have
probably lost patience with OTA. Still, a fair number of OTA users among
DBS users in this area. So maybe after they're settled, they are willing
to try again.