[opendtv] Early adopters generally not happy with their smart TVs

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 14:18:01 -0400

Has Michael Grotticelli been talking to Bert?

Probably not, but this story posted by Mike in today's Beyond The Headlines
offers some of the same criticisms of the Smart TV experience that Bert has
focused on recently. To be completely fair, the story also touches upon some of
my concerns about user interface.

Turns out that some of these folks are turning to second screen devices instead
of the Smart TV. One person commenting on the story argued that second screens
as navigation devices are not a viable solution, as they take your attention
away from the TV. I strongly suspect that trying to type search terms on a
Smart TV remote does much the same…

I am just beginning to use my new Apple TV. I'll be able to relate much more
about the experience after we upgrade to cable broadband, as our AT&T DSL
service is simply too slow for a decent OTT experience. But one thing that it
does very well is Airplay mirroring of videos that I find on my iPad. Just
touch the Airplay icon in the iPad video player, and it loads the video onto
the big screen, where it continues to play even when the iPad is put to sleep.

http://broadcastengineering.com/hdtv/early-adopters-generally-not-happy-their-smart-tvs?NL=BE-04&Issue=BE-04_20130715_BE-04_907&YM_RID=craig@xxxxxxxxx&YM_MID=1408494&sfvc4enews=42

Early adopters generally not happy with their smart TVs
Among those who have not purchased a smart TV, the concern is that these
products don’t yet deliver an enjoyable experience.
Jul. 15, 2013
Michael Grotticelli

OEMs and app developers are failing to provide smart TV users with apps and
services that enhance the TV experience.

Smart TVs aren’t getting good reviews from those who have them in their living
rooms, preferring instead smart phones and tablets for Internet video viewing
and web surfing. The latest research from Strategy Analytics’ Digital Home
Observator states that Apple iPhones and other connected devices are far easier
to use.

The study, “Online Video Lead Adopters Bypass the Smart TV with Personal
Devices,” offers an in-depth examination of how the behavior of eight advanced
user households has changed over the past three years as new connected TV
technologies have emerged.

Even though half of the sample had acquired a smart TV over the past three
years, no one was found to be using it as their main source for connected media
entertainment since they found tablets, smartphones and other connected TV
devices easier to use, the report said.

Early adopters who have not purchased a smart TV yet were concerned that these
products were not ready to deliver an enjoyable experience and were happy to
continue using other connected devices instead.

“The smart TV is limited in apps and doesn’t allow you to easily search,” one
participant said. “I had a battle between the PS3 (gaming console) and the
smart TV in which one to use, and the PS3 won.”

OEMs and app developers are failing to provide smart TV users with apps and
services that enhance the TV experience, said Taryn Tulay, senior analyst in
the User Experience Practice.

“An intuitive remote that works fluidly with the UI and provides ease of text
input with an integrated touchscreen is imperative to consumers finding the
apps and services functional on a TV,” she said.

The study concludes that while traditional TV will continue to play a key role
in domestic lifestyles, viewers will increasingly rely on the convenience of
personal devices and over-the-top video services to support their entertainment
needs.