[opendtv] Re: E-VSB Turkey (was Re: [opendtv])

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 09:01:09 -0400

Not to worry.  The very few LG/Zenith receivers out there that do support
E8-VSB do not support the concept of "fallback audio" in as much as there is
no way to signal a receiver that there is fallback audio available in the
robust stream and which program in the main stream it is related to, and if
such a signal existed there are no receivers capable of understand or acting
on such a flag.

Likewise there is no concept of "fallback video" either.  The only use for
E8-VSB, and I have no proof but I believe this was the intent of the ATSC
all along, is for specifically designed new devices to use the robust stream
to receive data.  Be that datacasting stock quotes to pagers or PDAs, or
something else like Disney's "Moviebeam II" I don't know, but practically
when the ATSC did not approve the use of H.264 (or AVC or MPEG4 or whatever
you wish to call the video encoder, don't beat me up for misplacing a comma
in the name) and did not specify the entire mechanism required for
transmitters and receivers to mark "fallback audio" or "fallback low res SD
video" they made E8-VSB a plaything of datacasters.

John

P.S. I have seen demonstrations given by Gary Sgrignoli of Zenith that
proved that every Zenith ATSC chipset they ever manufactured from day one
supported not only 8T-VSB and 16-VSB (for cable), but supported 4-VSB and
2-VSB modes as well.  If all chipsets had done the same, then a fallback to
2-VSB during low power operations would have been an acceptable solution to
the specific problem I outlined.  However, AFAIK no other chipset
manufacturer built in 2-VSB reception capabilities, and it is not allowed by
the FCC.