[opendtv] Re: EU and CRTs

  • From: "Donald Koeleman" <donald.koeleman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 17:52:40 +0200

Personally, I expect to have a laser tv before any sed set.

Announcements have been unchanged from the beginning of the year, the
difference is that they now have multiple units to demo, making it more
likely that the companies will be able to actually produce real displays.

Can't find it on the website, yet, so I just cut and paste Steve Sechrist's
report from Japan. www.displaydaily.com.

D.

SED Revs Up CEATEC
By Steve Sechrist
October 4, 2006

If your looking for the biggest buzz at Japan's CEATEC this year, go no
further than the Canon/Toshiba SED booth in Hall 1 at this massive precursor
to the  January Consumer Electronics Show.  Here, the Surface-conduction
Electron-emitter Display (SED), which was conspicuously absent from SID and
other display technology venues this year, is being shown in a 55-inch
model.

Lines begin forming a good 40 minutes to 1 hr. before the closed-door
presentation, and that's the line to get tickets.  There is yet another line
to see the demonstration.

To my knowledge, no one who has seen the SED technology up front and close
denies the display prowess.  And the specs support this.  The 55-inch model
shown publicly for the first time here yesterday includes a 1920 x 1080
display resolution boasting 50,000:1 contrast at 450 cd/m2 brightness at a
less than 1ms response time.  Yutaka Sakuraba, SEDs deputy senior general
manager for product development and design claims true CRT like performance
from the flat panel display; something he said no other display technology
can even approach.

Possibly true, but the company has yet to demonstrate they can produce these
results in mass quantities and perhaps more importantly, at a price point
competitive with rival LCD and PDP flat screens.  Adding fuel to doubting
display analyst crowd is the company's long delay in bringing the product to
market-or even full production.

For his part, Sakuraba said flat panel market conditions, including
significant price erosion in the space, forced a re-visit of product
development plans including cost-down and ramp models more than once.  "
It's been a planning nightmare for the team but we believe we are on track
for full production in the 2008 time frame." he said.  "We're looking at the
broader view and mass migration to DTV by 2011 when digital TV signals
become the standard and all analog goes away."  Sakuraba continued.

The company will spend the first half of 2007 perfecting its prototype
process in Hitatsuka, Japan where the 55-inch units shown at CEATEC were
produced.  The company plans to be in serial-production by July-07 with a
55-inch line.  Then, it will move to full production at a former Toshiba CRT
factory located in Himaji, (Hyogo prefecture) Japan by the beginning of
2008.

Sakuraba emphasized all equipment used to build the new displays in the
company's prototype factory was developed in-house leveraging the technology
strengths of both partners.  For example, Canon is supplying critical
ink-jet technology in applying the palladium-oxide and carbon compound
emitter layer.  So the company is charged not only with developing the
process, but building the tools to manufacture the technology as well.

Make no mistake, what these two companies are attempting is no less than a
display technology paradigm shift in the face of LCD and PDP flat panel
dominance - the result of billions of R&D and capacity investment dollars
and ballooning output fueling accelerated price declines which continually
spur demand for these traditional flat panels.  But the company is bullish
on SED display superiority, pouring development funds and resources into the
project.  And if the growing crowds here at CEATEC portend the future, the
SED image is one certainly worth waiting for.  The question is: will this
wait ever be rewarded?  --SS