[opendtv] Re: EU and CRTs

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 17:44:42 -0400

Thanks!

I, too, think SED is wonderful, but I first thought that about five years ago, when I first saw its pictures. How long will we have to wait?

TTFN,
Mark

Jeroen Stessen wrote:

Hi,

Mark Schubin:
> I'm trying to get a handle on why the RoHS and WEEE are supposed to be
> putting an end to professional CRT-based monitors.

If apparently it isn't for the lead contained in the glass (which
is in a very inert form anyway, and therefore relatively safe)
then it must be for something else. Maybe it's the lead in the
solder joints on the PCB, and the manufacturer has not yet switched
to a lead-free solder process. (Not so trivial.)
Or maybe it's the cadmium in the phosphors, I seem to recall that
when we switched to cadmium-free red phosphor the color point
deviated further from EBU-red. Or maybe it's something in the
shadow mask, or fire retardants in the cabinet, or ..., or ...
It could be any number of things, no point in guessing.

This message seems to hint at a worthy successor to the CRT:
http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6122031.html?part=rss&tag=6122031&subj=news

Greetings, -- Jeroen

| From: Jeroen H. Stessen | E-mail: Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone: ++31.40.2732739 | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile: ++31.6.44680021 | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |
| Skype: callto:jeroen.stessen | Website: http://www.apptech.philips.com/ |