[opendtv] Re: EU and CRTs

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 19:06:20 -0400

I believe there are now several LCD systems that can very closely match CRTs. These include eCinema Systems, Cine-tal, frontniche, and the new Sony unit shown privately at IBC. But none of them yet match the speed of CRT phosphors. I think the color-corrected LCDs are good for lighting directors and maybe even video operators/vision controllers, but they're not good enough for directors due to the motion issues.

I still eagerly await learning whether there's any true EU problem with professional CRT monitors.

TTFN,
Mark

negrjp wrote:
Hi Mark! Hi All!
Other question:

Is another display capable to produce the integral field of colors like CRT?

TTFN
Jonas,
from Brazil

Hello out there to people with understanding of EU regulations.

I'm trying to get a handle on why the RoHS and WEEE are supposed to be putting an end to professional CRT-based monitors.

What I've read of the RoHS seems to show that it specifically exempts lead in CRT glass.

What I've read of the WEEE seems to show that it requires certain procedures for the disposal of CRTs but doesn't ban them.

Even if those procedures are expensive, it seems to me that they can be worked into the already high price of, say, a Sony BVM-series monitor.

So what am I missing?

Many thanks!

TTFN,
Mark