[opendtv] EU and CRTs

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Open DTV Forum <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:50:31 -0400

Hello out there to people with understanding of EU regulations.

I'm trying to get a handle on why the RoHS and WEEE are supposed to be putting an end to professional CRT-based monitors.

What I've read of the RoHS seems to show that it specifically exempts lead in CRT glass.

What I've read of the WEEE seems to show that it requires certain procedures for the disposal of CRTs but doesn't ban them.

Even if those procedures are expensive, it seems to me that they can be worked into the already high price of, say, a Sony BVM-series monitor.

So what am I missing?

Many thanks!

TTFN,
Mark