[opendtv] ESPN to launch new UK Channel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 12:20:07 -0400

I think this could be significant. Notice how, unlike channels such as
CNN, ESPN will only be offered to subscription TV services in the UK? If
the Brits are anything like Americans, *this* could cause a huge shift
to subscription TV in the UK, and away from Freeview and Freesat.

Wonder why Virgin Media wasn't mentioned? A DBS exclusive for ESPN seems
odd.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=3437

ESPN to launch new UK Channel

Links:
www.espn.go.com
www.sky.com

ESPN have announced plans to launch a new channel in the UK which will
televise 46 Barclays Premier League matches this coming season.

According to Lynne Frank, Managing Director of ESPN in Europe, Middle
East and Africa, the ESPN channel will be made available in both
standard definition (SD) and high-definition (HD), making the UK based
sports channel the company's first HD channel in Europe.

ESPN will offer live Barclays Premier League football, international
sports and a range of U.S. sports previously provided on ESPN America,
which will be integrated in the UK into the new channel.

As part of the new arrangement, ESPN has stated that Sky will make ESPN
available on a premium subscription basis to all Sky homes.

Frank said: "We hope football and sports fans will enjoy ESPN's
compelling mix of Barclays Premier League football, international sports
and the best of the US sports in both SD and HD. We look forward to
working with Sky to deliver great sports content to their subscribers
and will continue our discussions with all other pay-TV providers so
that we can bring ESPN to as many sports fans in the UK as possible."

Mike Darcey, Sky's Chief Operating Officer, added: "Our agreement with
ESPN to retail its portfolio of sports channels ensures that we have
certainty of distribution of all live Premier League matches to Sky
homes, and further adds to the high-quality sports content our customers
can enjoy, both in standard- and high-definition. We are also delighted
to provide support in the form of production, advertising sales and
commercial retailing."

ESPN will be available to Sky customers from 3 August 2009.

DTG Staff 08.07.2009