[opendtv] Re: ESPN Scores Top Audiences in Cable History with Semis | Multichannel

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 22:06:10 -0500

> On Jan 6, 2015, at 9:33 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> And to drive that point home, if what I've been trying to get across isn't
> too obvious for words, take a look at ESPN.
>
> EXACTLY what you insisted, time and time and time again, would "never
> happen." A drop in ESPN viewership, the availability of a new distribution
> pipe that allows flexible alternative bundles, and look how fast it happened,
> Craig.

This was not news Bert. We have been talking about it for months. And I would
note that the service is still embryonic. The articles have talked about 20
channels including the broadcast networks; the announcement is 12 channels, no
broadcast networks (may become an add on tier) and mini add on bundles. If you
want news channels add five bucks. Kids programming is another add on.

I'm not complaining that there will be a new VMVPD that provides the ability to
shave the extended basic bundle and save some money. But it's still a bundle,
and it is tied to an individual - only one stream to one device at a time.

> Perhaps not totally "ESPN direct to consumer," but CERTAINLY outside of your
> "the bundle."

Not even close to ESPN ala carte. It IS a shaved bundle.

> No matter how lucrative "the bundle," now you see a much lower price, no MVPD
> subscription, available to anyone on the Internet, and live sports.

Lower price yes.

It is a VMVPD subscription.

Available to subscribers in the U.S. VIA the Internet.

It does include ESPN. It is not clear whether it includes Watch ESPN, which
offers access to additional events.

> Nothing resembling your TVE model.

It is TV Everywhere.

I still can't comprehend why Bert does not understand that TV Everywhere is
just a VMVPD service available to facilities based MVPD subscribers. At some
point in time TV Everywhere replaces the current analog and digital streaming
services from facilities based MVPDs.

> Do the math, Craig. How many other channels are subsidizing your sports fix,
> in this new Sling TV online service? And vice versa, how many unpopular
> channels are getting a free ride? Do you think this is business as usual? Do
> you really believe that this Sling TV is just another MVPD, re-created
> online? Come now.

The only significant change here is that the core bundle has been shaved and
the subscriber can choose from add on bundles to get a somewhat customized
bundle at a lower price.

Let's see how the public reacts and how many subscribers they attract.

It's a start...