[opendtv] Re: ESPN Scores Top Audiences in Cable History with Semis | Multichannel

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 20:30:26 -0500

On Jan 3, 2015, at 6:17 PM, Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Craig, you aren't saying anything new here. Inflexible demand means the
> supply side of the supply-demand model holds all the cards. Surely, I've said
> this more than once, yes?

You have also said that ESPN is looking to expand beyond the bundle as cord
cutters chip away at their subscriber base.

Sorry Bert, you can't have it both ways. There are good reasons that the
content congloms are protecting the extended basic bundle, even as they
experiment with the Internet to offer ala carte services from their own portals
and via new middlemen.

It is not inflexible demand, it is the power of offering enough exclusive
content to attract the vast majority of American TV viewers. Inflexible demand
is more closely related to my monthly power, water and sewer bills.

Each new technology shift changes what is possible, often with significant
impacts on the way we consume TV and theatric entertainment. This shift is
empowering the content congloms - they now have the ability to exploit both
their current shows and their libraries in new ways while protecting the
lucrative MVPD business they have spent two decades building. AND the power to
extend this experience to new devices that can access TV bits anywhere an
Internet connection is available.

We went to Downtown Disney today to eat at T-Rex with the grandkids.  I watched
part of a bowl game on Watch ESPN during the two hour drive. This was not
possible before The telcos deployed LTE and TV Everywhere.

Do you still want to tell us that this has not enhanced the value of a MVPD
subscription?