[opendtv] Re: ESPN Scores Top Audiences in Cable History with Semis | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 00:50:40 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> The point is that it's not "the bundle." That's what OTT sites offer
>> that's different from the MVPD model, Craig. More choice of
>> different bundling options, and availability to anyone with a
>> broadband connection (in the US).
>
> Yes, this is understood. We have discussed this since Dish announced
> its intention to offer a slimmed down bundle many months ago. The
> only real news is how slim it is.

Actually, that's not the main news, IMO. I always feel like the whole truth is
not being told, when people talk about "unbundling," and this became obvious
when Craig thanked me for pointing out that Netflix too offers some kind of
bundle.

I know I've said this before, but I'll emphasize it now. The real difference is
UNWALLED OPTIONS. Where in the past, you had whatever bundles and tiers *a*
local monopoly offered, now you have bundles and tiers from a huge (potential)
assortment of service providers, in every location. That's a huge difference.

For example, to stay within the MVPD model you seem to cherish, do you have a
choice of getting Comcast TVE service where you live, Craig? No? Why not? Why
should Comcast be so polite as to not offer its Internet-based TV service in
Cox territory? That's silly anymore, and consequently, **it is bound to
change**.

> The good news here is that it could put some pressure on the
> facilities based MVPDs to offer some choice in their bundles.

More likely, what you call "facilities-based," and I call "walled in," will do
what Dish and Verizon are set to do. They will become unwalled providers too!
And where I might have suggested "within 5 years" a few days ago, perhaps
that's being far too timid. Not to mention, of course, that the content owners
themselves can choose to play that game on their own as well (a la CBS and HBO).

> It's not going to happen Bert. ESPN is too important to the whole
> concept of bundling to go direct to consumer. The fact that it is
> the anchor of the Dish Sling service should tell you that.

Not again with "not going to happen." The price being asked by Sling TV only
tells me that the other channels are asking next to nothing, and that this
Sling TV service amounts to ESPN direct to consumer with very tiny extra
bennies. ESPN could play that game on its own too, maybe adding more regional
sports, college sports, high school, what have you, or even non-sports content.
They NO LONGER need to worry about getting into some popular (and lucrative)
locally-monopolistic "bundle." They can even remain in the Sling TV bundle, not
to mention others, while offering their own service, so what?

> You still do not understand the HBO strategy. You have always been
> able to get basic cable and HBO.

Can't be true, Craig. Otherwise, they wouldn't have been described as new.
Perhaps you couldn't get HBO with as slimmed down a "basic" tier as they are
offering now, is my bet. Perhaps HBO was not available with that basic-basic,
never advertised tier, and now it is.

> Bert. These authenticated sites are still walled

They are unwalled, see above. No middleman is telling me whether I can or not
subscribe to them. No one is limiting which parts of the country they can serve.

>> How amazing is it that it happened the **day after** Craig's list
>> of questions?
>
> Not amazing at all considering it was announce last summer,

Let me remind Craig what he asked:

> Will dedicated MVPD services delivered via cable or satellite
> go away completely? If so, when.

To which I answered,

Yes, they will morph into another set of OTT sites, available to anyone, and
they will have to become more competitive as a result.

This began happening the day after you asked the question, both Dish and
Verizon. As I said above, these MVPDs no longer need to remain politely within
only their own territory. If they don't need to, they won't!