[opendtv] Re: EPA tightens up power specs for PCs

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:30:17 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> Recently I just watched "Who Killed the Electric Car?" on You Tube
> or Google video or one of those. It somewhat explains things,
> though without the current Bush oil interest ramifications that
> are causing us so much trouble.

Actually, I think batteries killed the electric car. They are just not "general
purpose" enough to be practical. Not only that, but generating the electricity
also creates CO2 much of the time, unless you're using nuclear or hydroelectric
power, and the spent batteries create a huge pollution problem of their own.
Electric cars were mostly for those who wear their cars as a fashion (and
political) statement.

I had high hopes for fuel cell cars with on-board gasoline-to-hydrogen
processing. That too would create CO2 as a byproduct, but at least it is
considerably more efficient than the Otto cycle, and potentially much simpler
mechanically than internal combustion engines. And all the fuel distribution
chain would still work, unlike what you need if you had to distribute H2
directly.

I also don't buy the hybrid car hype either. The Germans are on the right
track, with the state-of-the-art diesel engines and biodiesel fuel, I think.
But again, the hybrid car hype works best for those who wear these things as
fashion statements.

However, aside from all the engineering tradeoffs, there's nothing but politics
to prevent our fearless leaders from including SUVs, trucks, and vans from
being included in the very same CAFÉ requirements as cars. That could be done
now. Nor is it only the current administration preventing that from becoming
fact. It's Congress. Both sides. Too many poseurs.