[opendtv] Re: EPA tightens up power specs for PCs

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:13:08 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

pshaw.  You need to talk to people who once took the Pacific Red Line cars (and
other LA lines) and who had to later "resort" to autos.  Only the interurban
lines could maintain schedules and speed.

One of the last time I visited LA, I took the subway/trolley combination from
Union Station to LAX.  In car traffic late in the afternoon, it would take
better than an hour.  Via public transit, it took less than 30 minutes, and
that included the 1.5 mile shuttle bus from the closest trolley station to the
airport.

In the trolley days, it would have been better than an hour due to street
location.

As any public transit advocate will point out, the only thing that works with
transit vis a vis autos is when they don't share right of way.  In LA, that
only happened on the interurban lines.