[opendtv] Re: EPA tightens up power specs for PCs

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:07:02 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

I find this screed unavailing on the demise of the trolley car situation.  At
least as important as GM's efforts in LA was the (still around) California PUC
requirement that trolley operators running in streets be responsible for
maintaining the roadway within 3 feet of their outside tracks.  This created
liability issues, and the number of auto-trolley crashes were tremendous when
streetcars ran in mixed traffic with autos.  The trolley operator was the fixed
deep pocket.

Not to mention the general desire -- widely evidenced in LA -- for automobility.

Wanna read about the early days of automobiles?  Try James Flick's "Early
Implementation of the Automobile in the America" and of course the Middletown
studies.  The latter were studies of Indianapolis in the early 1900's.

There's also Helen Leavitt's "Superhighway Superhoax," although she was a
partisan on the issue.

John Willkie, showing that he once was a reporter covering urban transportation
issues.