[opendtv] Re: EPA tightens up power specs for PCs

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:51:53 -0400

One suggestion for why the car companies may have helped kill the electric car was they had a good business going, servicing those complex mechanical engines that I tend to dislike.

If this is true then you might thing the car companies would strongly prefer the hybrids which have both gas and electric propulsion to service. But I don't.

- Tom

Kon Wilms wrote:
On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 18:33 -0400, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

I thought it was Toyota, several years ago, that announced a scheme
where they converted gasoline or other fossil fuel into H2, on board. I
guess that turned out to be too hard or expensive to do. But it does
seem like the right approach. Use truly efficient sources of energy, and
go directly to electricity. Then the electric vehicle becomes as useful
and general purpose as cars are now, rather than the compromised golf
carts battery-powered vehicles always seem to be.

The latest rev BMW 750h has dual H2 and gasoline fuel tanks, and uses a
fuel cell to power onboard electronics (which saves quite a large
percentage on power). Ofcourse BMW has been involved with H2 engines
since the 1930s, so I would expect them to do a good job of this :).

Cheers
Kon

-- Tom Barry trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com