[opendtv] Re: EPA tightens up power specs for PCs

  • From: Brian Park <floman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:17:08 -0500

I would like to direct you to Tesla Motors white papers on electric cars.

http://www.teslamotors.com/learn_more/white_papers.php

It's the only way to go.

bp

Tom Barry wrote:

There are battery problems but we can certainly point to the existence of electric golf carts. It is a question of weight and range. I'm actually thinking of getting an old small used car and converting it, for grins and short hops.

- Tom

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

Tom Barry wrote:

Recently I just watched "Who Killed the Electric Car?" on You Tube
or Google video or one of those. It somewhat explains things,
though without the current Bush oil interest ramifications that
are causing us so much trouble.

Actually, I think batteries killed the electric car. They are just not "general purpose" enough to be practical. Not only that, but generating the electricity also creates CO2 much of the time, unless you're using nuclear or hydroelectric power, and the spent batteries create a huge pollution problem of their own. Electric cars were mostly for those who wear their cars as a fashion (and political) statement.

I had high hopes for fuel cell cars with on-board gasoline-to-hydrogen processing. That too would create CO2 as a byproduct, but at least it is considerably more efficient than the Otto cycle, and potentially much simpler mechanically than internal combustion engines. And all the fuel distribution chain would still work, unlike what you need if you had to distribute H2 directly.

I also don't buy the hybrid car hype either. The Germans are on the right track, with the state-of-the-art diesel engines and biodiesel fuel, I think. But again, the hybrid car hype works best for those who wear these things as fashion statements.

However, aside from all the engineering tradeoffs, there's nothing but politics to prevent our fearless leaders from including SUVs, trucks, and vans from being included in the very same CAFÉ requirements as cars. That could be done now. Nor is it only the current administration preventing that from becoming fact. It's Congress. Both sides. Too many poseurs.