[opendtv] Re: EETimes.com - DVB ponders next-gen terrestrial DTV standard

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 09:48:03 -0500

Bert,

You've said that before, but you've already determined that ATSC requires a
double conversion tuner with a tunable front end filter, so obviously the
cheap tuners in existing DVB-T boxes would not do.  And you were shown a
single vendor's chip that could decode ATSC and DVB-T so you assume that
every DVB-T vendor in the world could adopt this lone chip, but they
haven't.  So these vendors would have to change their board design to
accommodate some version of an ATSC demod chip.

All DVB-T chipsets are already 6-7-8 MHz compatible, and most MPEG decoder
chipsets are also NTSC/PAL ready (Every DVD player I own has a menu setting
for PAL output, for example.)

So yes they could build ATSC boxes if they chose, but the only synergy they
could leverage from their existing DVB-T boxes would be the case.

John