[opendtv] Re: EE Times: To Understand Smart TV, Follow the Money

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 22:28:13 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> You ignored what may be the most important takeaway from the EETimes story:

----------------------
http://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=36&doc_id=1322997&;

. . .

He believes the third wave is smart TV that targets smaller demographics with
compelling content that provides advertisers a rifle shot at their potential
buyers, versus carpet-bombing a population. Morgan said smart TV is about a new
economic model and new relationship with the viewer and advertiser. This is
made possible by cloud-based television service for smart TVs and connected
devices such as supplied by Net2TV. Engaging viewers individually and paying
for it will require new forms of programming and advertising and will also
require the delivery of both to viewers.
----------------------

I didn't ignore the part about "smart TV that targets smaller demographics with
compelling content," since that is implicit anytime one mentions greater
choice. Certainly, Internet TV offers more choice to everyone, and that's not
JUST because it is VOD.

I do minimize the part that says, "provides advertisers a rifle shot at their
potential buyers, versus carpet-bombing a population," mostly because (a) I
don't much care (honestly, you make a bigger deal of this than reality proves
it deserves), and (b) that's the part that is the MOST problematic! Again,
remember what I said before? "Lack of discipline."

By far the WORST offender today, when it comes to incompetence at introducing
ads online without causing glitches, would be nbc.com. They are atrocious,
between ads and just the content freezing. One wonders whether anyone at nbc
watches their own online content. It appears almost as if there's a "memory
leak" problem, where the longer you watch an nbc.com show, the worse it gets.

The other day, after giving up on nbc.com (always the optimist, I figure from
one day to the next they'll get their act together) I tuned to abc.com. It too
gave me problems. Huh? ABC was always better than that. So I closed down the
browser (IE11), started it up again, and all was well. Conclusion? The nbc.com
stream had gobbled up all the available RAM (6 Gbytes total, in my case). Next
time, I'll try verifying this with the task manager.

The fact that viewing experience quality varies so much among the networks, and
also the other portals, proves that this is a problem of discipline. Yes, Adobe
attempts to keep up with their frequent updates, but even that is a little bit
"damning with faint praise." It should never come down to this game of cat and
mouse.

> The real question is who will figure this out. The broadcast networks
> would appear disadvantaged,

The broadcast networks, on the contrary, seem to be creating way more content
than they did in years past. Summers used to be TV doldrums, where only reruns
or movies were available. No more. As long as the TV networks continue
producing compelling content, I think they have nothing to worry about.
(Although again, pay attention to your online steams, networks. This should
make good business sense, and increasingly so over time.)