[opendtv] Re: EBU backs emerging 1080p standard

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 10:15:14 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:
> Of all the holdouts I think it is the 24 Hz rate that annoys me the most.

So, how do you feel about lens filters?  How about makeup?

The arguments about 1080i30 or 720p60 are about which provides better
pictures.  The arguments about integer frame rates or not are about
broadcast workflows.

But 24 fps is purely an aesthetic choice, like lens filtering or makeup
or lighting style.  To say it shouldn't be used is to remove aesthetic
choice from a director.  Whatever my personal feelings about 24 fps,
that's not something I'd like to see happen.

TTFN,
Mark