[opendtv] EBU backs emerging 1080p standard

  • From: "Hoffmann, Hans" <hoffmann@xxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 09:03:10 +0200

Our research on the 1080p/50 coding efficiency (compared to 1080i/25) was a
first start with one particular sequence (see an IEEE paper coming out in
Dec).  In the meantime I have conducted a further series of tests with
different content (shoot with CCD camera 1080p/50). Same results: 1080p/50
was equal or better than 1080i/25 at the same bitrate when compressed with
MPEG-4 AVC. All this was done without particular tuning of the MPEG-4 VAC
encoder (used the HHI one). Guess the results will be even better with
1080p50 when the compression Gurus have started to do some optimisation on
the encoder side.

On the other hand we always - always found that the 720p50 was incredibly
good even when viewed on a Full HD display and sometime better than 1080p/50
because of the compression artefacst which become of course very visible in
the lower bit-rates of 1080p50 (lets say below 10Mbit/s).

Regards,
Hans