[opendtv] Re: Droid Phone

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 12:22:05 -0500

Mark A. Aitken wrote:
> There will 'soon' be "an app for that" (ATSC Mobile DTV), but on a
> different network. It will be part of the Washington/Baltimore
> Consumer trial that OMVC is coordinating. The device is quite cool!
>
> Mark
> the Mark that will soon have an excuse to get an iPhone (or iTouch!).
Hi Mark -

I started googling for info on the Washington trial and found the
following July Broadcasting & Mobile article:
<http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/314807-Driving_Mobile_DTV_from_Coast_to_Coast.php>

This suggests they will be using 1/4 FEC and getting only about 900 kbps
actual payload (goodput after overhead) for the video channels.  That
would probably be fine for a phone but of very limited use for any
larger screens.

---- quote ----
According to Harris VP Jay Adrick, who is helping the six D.C. stations
ready their facilities with mobile DTV-capable exciters and encoders,
most stations are devoting about 3.7 megabits per second of
their 19.4 Mbps DTV pipe to the mobile streams, which are encoded using
MPEG-4 compression. Because the D.C. stations will be using a lot of
forward-error correction (FEC) to ensure robust reception, only about a
quarter of that bit-rate is available for transmitting audio and video.

"That translates into about 900 kilobits [per second] of payload, and we
can put two or three services in there," says Adrick. "It's working out
reasonably well."
---- /quote ---

Can you confirm any of this?

- Tom