[opendtv] Re: Doug Lung series on OFDM

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 10:14:31 -0500

I've gotten used to watching ads in lower resolution than the main program, because that's how a lot of the Internet TV shows work now. The ad breaks, for whatever reason, are much grainier than the show. And that's how this scheme would show up.

But would the advertisers accept this. And even if they did, the number of zones would still be very limited.

It seems to me that Internet TV is more similar to OTA and to DBS, than it is to any walled garden, non-standard, proprietary, politically-limited-by-county-boundaries, cable system. The OTT sites cover (I think) a much larger area than local cable. And this is the future, as far as I'm concerned.

OTT can be very"personal." They probably do know exactly where you are, unless you go to the trouble to spoof the servers. I have not watched Hulu or most of the network sites, as I generally don't watch most of the conglom shows, and have not for years. So they may handle the ads in a different manner than most of the news and sports sites I frequent. Our local newspaper site seems to be holding on to the traditional display advertising model.

So I guess there are many options for OTT.

Cable is the most like OTA, as they compete in the market for local and regional ad dollars. But they have much better demographic targeting, and they can zone ads very effectively, ESPECIALLY in larger markets like DC and Baltimore.

The future is, you tailor the ads and other content through clever routing of packets, not through the physical separation caused by a cable plant. You need to stop thinking in terms of old infrastructures and old techniques. Even cable systems are moving more and more to IP.

In a sense, I think were both right. I do not see the old practice of "shotgun advertising" going away. If you want to create general public awareness about your product or service, targeting to the individual IP address level is not necessary. Here zoning can be helpful, if your product or service does not serve the larger geographic market covered by the broadcasters or cable system.

Highly targeted ads are a different issue. Here, there has been some kind of interaction that is driving the advertiser to target the individual. This could be based on web searches for that IP address, or physical lead generation. For example, if you go to a car dealership and take a test drive, expect to start seeing targeted ads for that vehicle and/or dealership.

 > It might even be time for another Open DTV forum...

Or, same forum, but new discussion about topics that matter today, rather than topics that mattered 15-20 years ago. The 8-VSB vs COFDM debate is old, and quite frankly, even if DVB-T2 would be a good choice for a new one-way broadcast scheme, if I were the FCC commish, such a change would make me rethink and requestion everything about spectrum for broadcasting.

Actually I did not state that quite right. Years ago members of the list used to get together at NAB for Open DTV round tables (i.e. a live forum). I think this could attract a good size crowd at NAB next year.

 > You can also checkerboard your channels so that each zone is independent.

Arm-waving again? You can indeed, but then it wouldn't be a SFN. A cellular system is totally different from small sticks used in SFNs. If you set up a SFN for the main program material, then you can't use the same SFN frequency for cellular ads. You'd have to tell the receivers to retune their receivers for the cellular ads, where in these new and separate freqs, the small sticks each create a different cell. *WHICH MEANS*,

Actually you can have BOTH. You dedicate certain channels to a larger area SFN, and other channels for localization. And yes, the receiver changes channels to tune to localized ads, OR if the system is designed properly, you deliver ads to local cache during off hours, and insert them as needed.

Since you have to dedicate those separate frequencies anyway, you can also set up a true cellular broadcast infrastructure, as I described more than once before, in which case you don't need LTE or DVB-T2. 8-VSB can do it this just as well. For mobility, this scheme wouldn't work very well anyway, switching the mobile user from one ad to another in mid stride. Instead, the idea of using the ad based on your preferences, and the IP mcast address, would work much better.

Yes, you "could create a true 2-way infrastructure, perhaps with smaller multicast groups. But then you lose the benefits of broadcasting - it would not work in larger markets like yours.

 > You need to stop thinking in terms of individual channels (streams) and
 start thinking in terms of how websites are created from multiple servers.

This is a complete non-sequitur, and a different subject, and also not one that requires any different modulation scheme.

Correct. It requires intelligence in the broadcast receiver and a back channel. Both are easy to implement today if broadcasters decide to create a real platform, rather than another RF standard.